Red Hook Plaza, the aboriginal shopping center of St. Thomas’ East End, opened in 1978. Conveniently located within walking distance to the St. John and inter-island ferry terminal, and adjacent to one of the islands’ busiest marinas, Red Hook Plaza has evolved into being “Main Street” for the east end community.
The parent company of Red Hook Plaza, Inc., Lockhart Realty, Inc., purchased the 33,000 square foot shopping center from the original owner in 1994. Several of the current businesses have operated on-property for nearly 30 years, and the vast majority are owner-operated.
Lockhart Realty, Inc., the largest owner of shopping centers in the U.S. Virgin Islands, owns and manages six shopping centers on St. Thomas (Drake’s Passage, Grand Galleria, Fort Mylner Shopping Center and Commercial Center, Red Hook Plaza, Market Square East, and Lockhart Gardens Shopping Center) and one shopping center (Orange Grove Shopping Center) on St. Croix.
Approximately 320 acres of undeveloped real estate zoned for commercial and residential development is owned by Lockhart Realty, Inc., and is located either adjacent to the primary business and tourist district on St. Thomas or on the main highway connecting downtown and the eastern end of St. Thomas.
Alfred H. Lockhart founded the company in 1884 and it was incorporated in 1936. The parent company, Lockhart Companies Incorporated, together with its subsidiaries, also owns and operates several insurance companies (Guardian Insurance Company and Heritage Insurance Limited) and a financial services company (Premium Finance Company). www.lockhart.com